Monday 1 August 2011

Work Day Blues

I adore my job. I am one of the few who genuinely likes my job. But today was a struggle. I simply was not in the mood and I know exactly why it was. You see, last week the nursery was closed, so Toddler-Not-So-Tiny-Temper, Mr Working Mum and I were together for a whole, glorious, fun-filled week.  We didn’t go on holiday, we simply spent time with friends, went to the local zoo, visited the farm down the road, had long lazy picnics and just enjoyed all being together. After such a blissful week it was a real wrench this morning to wave Mr Working Mum off to work and drop Toddler-Not-So-Tiny-Temper at nursery. I drove the hour to my office and sat there at my desk thinking “Why am I doing this? Why is my lovely little family all spread out over three counties for the entire day and only together for an hour or so before bedtime? I am a Marketing Manager for more days a week than I am a mum. Is this right?”

But you know, it is right. It’s definitely right for me. I always have a couple of days of the blues on returning to work after a break but in a day or two I’ll remember that I enjoy my job and that being a stay at home mum is seriously hard work! It’s not all zoos and picnics, it’s chores and compromise. If I’m honest with myself I don’t have the patience to be a full time mother. And in the real world the family is not together all the time because someone, mother or father, has to go to work. These week or two week snippets I have in-between work are the best of the best – household jobs are postponed, outings are daily and the main aim is to have fun. It’s wonderful, but it’s not an insight into how life would be if I were to stay at home full time.

I know I’m right and my rationale is sound but I am still going to be a bit blue this week...

x

3 comments:

  1. I think your reasoning is sound. I don't think there is a mummy out there who doesn't feel guilt about choosing to work or not to work. Whichever decision you make, you'll always question it. I'm so pleased you're able to enjoy your work for the most part and that the blues disappear soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've figured out that being at home together for a week and enjoying yourselves is not the norm and all good things come to an end. If you love your job, the blues will disappear and you will be glad of the challenge, status, adult conversation of the working world! Also, when toddler starts school it will feel much easier to be at work because otherwise what would you do when they are at school all day? I would be climbing the walls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chatty Baby and Working Mum - you're both right. The blues have already started to diminish and working definitely makes me appreciate my 'mummy time' more! x

    ReplyDelete